by Mike McCormick
The Mayo Beach 2016 Watersports Fun Fest is planned for June 25th from 11:00 to 3:00. This year marks that 6th annual Watersport Fun Fest at Mayo Beach Park. This event has been organized by BABA and co-sponsored with East of Maui, Annapolis Community Boating, Outdoor Architects and Anne Arundel County Recreation and Parks. We have had a lot of fun each year with peak attendance and fun in 2014.
Bring your car-top water craft or just come out for some fun at Mayo Beach Park on the Chesapeake Bay.
- No charge for park admission or activities
- Mayo Beach Park is open to the public from 11:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- On-site registration for Watersports Fun Fest activities (see below)
- Car Top Area #3 – equipment drop off will be provided – parking at top of hill
- BYO – car-top water craft
- Stand UP Paddling – free mini lessons and demo boards available (must be 15 years of age)
- Windsurfing – “taste of windsurfing” instruction and land-based simulation
- Sit Down Paddling – kayaking and canoeing – free mini lessons with demo equipment available (must have an adult if under 18)
- Fun Events – SUP relay race, Windsurfing freestyle and other fun events
- Picnic – Light food and beverages will be provided.
Note: swimming attire and water shoes are required for safe participation in on-water events. BYO life jacket if you have one.
- Baltimore Area Boardsailing Association http://www.windsurfbaba.org/
- East of Maui http://www.eastofmauiboardshop.com/
- Annapolis Community Boating http://annapolisboating.org
- Outdoor Architects http://www.outdoorarchitects.com/landscape/default.aspx
- In Partnership with – Anne Arundel County Recreation and Parks.
Register on-site the day of the event for Fun Fest activities. Due to limited facilities and equipment participation is on a 1st come 1st served basis.
Fun Fest cancellations due to bad weather will be posted to the BABA Blog. https://windsurfbaba.wordpress.com/
From Annapolis, take MD Route 2 (Solomons Island Road) South (4.5 miles) to MD Route 214 (Central Avenue). Take 214 East (4.4 miles) and turn left on Shoreham Beach Road at Lou’s Store. Stay on Shoreham Beach Road (1 mile) through sharp turns (3 Mayo Beach signs) to Honeysuckle Drive. Turn sharp right and follow Honeysuckle Drive into the Park.